Thursday, November 14, 2013

11/14/13, Earth Time: 06:00 AM, EST, Thurs: – Past post of 'The Odyssey of This Writer' from 02/26/13

As stated before, this is a replication of past posts of 'The Odyssey of This Writer' and will occur here on Thursdays while 'The Story of Terlokya' will be published here on Tuesdays. Enjoy.


Part 5 - The Tuesday Edition

02/26/13

There I am, in my second class, waiting like everyone else to have our previous week’s assignment handed out – with our professor’s critique of course. So our professor, Ethan, (yes – I remember his name but will only use his first name here.) handed back our papers and announced that we would be discussing each one. I quickly glanced at mine and saw lots of red marks, but upon reading them, they looked favorable. I noticed one comment said, “Really long.” Anyway, he talked about each paper and when class ended, he asked me if I had a couple of minutes to go over a few things. I nervously agreed.

As we sat down, he started by asking me how long I had been writing. I said not long. He could tell. He mentioned that I really need to focus on POV. “What the heck is POV?” I asked. His reply was, “You really haven’t been writing long.” He explained Point of View and yes, I had really screwed that up. I was all over the place – which would have confused the reader, but made perfect sense to me. He then commended me on the religious metaphor that I had running through these three chapters I had given him. I said, “What?” He gave me a quizzical look, then commented on each of the references that appeared religious in nature also mentioning that they were well written and expertly woven into the story. I told him I didn’t do it on purpose – that I was writing the story the way it happened. A look of surprise washed over his face. His response was … well … that’s for next week.

No comments: